Monday, October 24, 2011

Parent/Teacher Conferences

It's that time again when chills roll down the spines of teachers, our stomaches are clenched and we find our jaw sore after a long day when we realize that we've been gritting our teeth... Yes, it's conference time. Ugh.

BUT, this year I'm am taking a different approach. 2 years ago when I was in Scotland, they had the students color a happy face, a plain face, or a frowny face for how the student felt they were doing in each area of the curriculum. Then the students were to set a goal for themselves in each area. Frankly, I had no idea what it was that I was supposed to be doing with this student "report card" thingie but I did as I was told and no one came back to tell me I had done it wrong. So, I muddled through it alright... but I never forgot it. This year, I decided to adapt that idea to my students and have them run the conference instead of me. My first attempt was to get them to rate themselves in each area but I soon found out that it wasn't a good idea. WAY too complex for a first step with 6 and 7 year olds. I settled for a chat with each student about their favorite subject at school and why they liked it. They told me one thing they felt that they did very well and why they thought they did it so well. Then I helped them come up with one goal they would try to accomplish by the December holidays. Finally, I asked them what is the one thing that they would like their parents to know about them from me. (I was trying to understand what they felt was important about themselves and how I could help them.) I also told them that I don't lie and that I would never lie to their parents. Those six year olds, just looked at me in total understanding, nodded once and started to really think.

So, together, in private conferences, we talked and I took notes so I wouldn't forget anything. And tonight, we started. Five families came, one after another, and listened as their child talked about their learning: What their favorite subject was; (Some parents were so surprised!) Then they listened as their child told them what they thought they were really good at; Then they stated their goal for the first semester. The parents were so supportive and so very proud of their wee ones. Lastly, I looked into their parents' eyes and told them the one thing their child really wanted them to know. Some things were odd or funny. For instance, one child wanted her mom to know that she treated her books just like babies. (It's a class slogan.) Some things were very touching like the child who wanted me to tell his mother that he really, really tried hard to finish all his work. But, whatever they asked, if it was important to the child, and it was the truth, I said it it. What was precious was to watch the effect their words had on their parents. Some parents were baffled, but most were as thrilled by their children as I was.

They are so amazing, these little ones that I get to spend the day with. They are absolutely BRILLIANT!

And, remember, I never lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment