Saturday, August 22, 2015

QR Codes

According to Wikipedia, QR codes stand for "Quick Response" codes. QR codes are a matrix barcode first developed for the automotive industry for fast readability and the large amount of data that can be contained within them. You probably feel more familiar with the UPC barcodes on groceries but I am sure you've seen at least a few QR codes in magazines, museums and at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. To use QR codes you need to have a QR code reader app installed on your smart phone or iPad. I have i-nigma installed on my phone but there are many available and most are free. You might want to install one if you don't have one already since we'll be using QR codes this year for many things. Some of the ideas I have already are: scavenger hunts, animal facts, a classroom tour, writing, and math facts. I have no doubt that the students will come up with some clever ideas on their own after we use them a few times as one of my goals this year is to integrate technology into the curriculum in ways that students can easily replicate and improvise. QR codes are fun and a bit like "spy stuff" for kids. That's always a great learning hook! ;) To get you started, here's the QR code that is outside our classroom door. Click on the QR code to find out more about me!




No comments:

Post a Comment